Hey you! Yes, YOU! Are you taking care of yourself?
Remember how it used to be when you were a kid and didn't feel well? Most of the time your mom was there to make some soup and rub your head and make it all better. But now, all grown up, taking care of yourself is one of the most important things you can do for your overall well-being, especially if you have a mental health disorder.
It's not that difficult to do once you start. Here are some easy ideas to try to put a little self-care in your life.
1. Get Active! - You don't have to run a marathon or even walk a mile. Just get up and move around once in a while. Your mind and body will thank you! The more you do it, the better you will feel.
2. Get Involved! - This is something I learned recently. Finding something in my community that I find interesting and compelling and getting involved in has made a world of difference to me. I joined a Facebook page called "Kenosha Rocks" and now I paint and hide rocks all over town. It's relaxing and fun and my entire community is doing it!
3. Eat Well! - Eating the right foods, eating healthy foods is showing your body the respect it deserves. Plus, you will have the energy to do all those things you want to do and good health for years to come.
4. Rest/Relax! - It's okay to take some time to just slow down and relax. Take a nap once in a while. A Sunday afternoon snooze is good for the soul and the mind.
5. Have a Good Laugh! - They say "Laughter is the Best Medicine" and nothing could be more true. A good, no-nonsense belly laugh will brighten your day, lighten your spirits and stay with you. Plus, that smile is contagious! Spread that cheer around!
6. Write It Down! - Start a journal. Writing down what's inside can help you process your feelings, ideas, thoughts and dreams. Even if you're not consistent, do it as much as you feel you can. You'll start to feel a difference and see the value in it.
7. Challenge Yourself! - Every once in a while, make yourself get out of your comfort zone and do something you never thought you'd do in a million years. Try something new! Learn a new skill, take dance lessons, sing in public, paint a picture, talk to a stranger - anything! It widens your horizons and makes your world a much bigger, brighter place!